2017 – 2018 Arrangements to be confirmed
Students in Year 10 can apply to go on a Work Experience Placement in Year 10 between January and July of that Academic Year (avoiding the end of year exam period. This can be up to 1 week in length.
Work experience can be an excellent opportunity to learn about the world of work, with key benefits including:
· Development and growth of self-confidence and maturity
· Greater thought given to future career intentions
· Learning and developing basic and transferable skills
· Learning about employers’ expectations e.g. timekeeping, dress-code
· Improving employment chances
Work experience is also most effective when students carry out their placement in an environment which relates to the subjects they enjoy the most, and where they have an interest in a particular career.
The process for Work Experience is as follows:
- Parents/students investigate the possibility of a placement
- Once an appropriate placement has been found an application is made to the Academy for permission of the authorised absence (using the Initial Request Form). This includes providing details of dates, employer, nature of placement etc. This should happen at least 3 weeks in advance (preferably more in order to allow for Health & Safety consideration).
- The Academy will then consider and initially authorise (or not) the placement.
- Parents are then provided with the Work Placement Form, which needs to be completed by the employer and returned to the Academy for student files. This includes providing details of insurance etc.
- Subject to final approval attendance records are then updated and tutors/teachers informed.
- Student participates in the placement, and the employer completes a feedback form which is returned to the Academy for student files.
- A letter of acknowledgement and thanks is send from the student to the employer.
Please note that Health & Safety checks are not undertaken by the Academy and it is the responsibility of parents to ascertain whether or not a check is required. If it is we can possibly help to organise this, subject to a cost to parents.
Also, please be advised that students should only use companies with more than one employee. In addition, Employers Liability and Public Liability Insurance must be arranged by the company providing work experience.
As a first step please download and read the Guidelines Booklet which is linked to below.
If you have any queries about Work Experience please contact Robin Taylor, Deputy Principal (firstname.lastname@example.org)